Saturday, February 20, 2010

Patience through Suffering

Question: How does faith work patience?

Answer: Faith argues the soul into patience. Faith is like that town clerk in Ephesus who allayed the contention of the multitude and argued them soberly into peace (Acts 19:35, 36). So when impatience begins to clamour and make a hubbub in the soul, faith appeases the tumult and argues the soul into holy patience. Faith says, ‘Why art thou disquieted, O my soul?’ (Psa. 42:5). ‘Are you afflicted? Is it not your Father who has done it? He is carving and polishing you and making you fit for glory. He smites that he may save. What is your trial? Is it sickness? God shakes the tree of your body so that some fruit may fall, even the “the peaceable fruit of righteousness” (Heb. 12:11). Are you driven from your home? God has prepared a city for you (Heb. 11:16). Do you suffer reproach for Christ’s sake? “The spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you” (1 Pet. 4:14).’ Thus faith argues and disputes the soul into patience.

*Question and answer written by Thomas Watson. Heard this on a radio program called Wretched radio: www.wretchedradio.com. Super encouraging! For those of you who don't listen to Wretched, check it out (*ahem, Courtney and Justin, cough, cough). :-)

Patience through suffering is good, but H-A-R-D, and it only comes, I am finding, by the grace and mercy of Almighty God. There are so many different kinds of suffering and at this moment I think I am going through all of the kinds. :-) BUT I just wanted to say: 1. Ouch! 2. Although I really want it to stop pretty soon, I also know that God has been GREATLY merciful in sending it, and that in some ways it has been such a blessing I don't want it to stop (cannot believe I just wrote that, but it is true... ahhh!).

Great is THY FAITHFULNESS, O God, my Father!

No comments:

Post a Comment