Sunday, February 21, 2010

Patience and Suffering again :-)

God is so good! Wouldn't you know it but the pastor preached on James 5:7-11. As I read through the passage, my heart was just yelling "no. no. not that!". :-) But God did most definitely mean what He said in that passage and after repentance, there was so much peace. Ahh. Really these are the worst and best of times! :-)

" Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain. Be ye also patient; stablish your hearts: for the coming of the Lord draweth nigh. Grudge not one against another, brethren, lest ye be condemned: behold, the judge standeth before the door. Take, my brethren, the prophets, who have spoken in the name of the Lord, for an example of suffering affliction, and of patience. Behold, we count them happy which endure. Ye have heard of the patience of Job, and have seen the end of the Lord; that the Lord is very pitiful, and of tender mercy." -James 5:7-11

When we were reading through the passage as a congregation I couldn't even read it, it was so convicting. I had just been praying this morning that the Lord would come. Not that that is a bad prayer, and not that I shouldn't look forward to His coming, but rather that my heart wasn't right in my reasons for asking. :-) I just wanted the trouble to be over, but Jesus said, (another verse the Pastor reminded me of) "These things have I spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation' but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (Matthew 16:33) In this world I have had tribulation, but I endure it cheerfully because Christ has already endured the most pain and trouble possible and He was victorious through it! I don't have to count on my own ability to endure but through His strength and grace He will cause me to endure to the end. That indeed is a relief!

How precious a gift to know the Lord and to be known by Him! What a gift His word is to us! In Him, through the Words He has spoken and what He has done we have peace. Not only peace with God but also peace through trouble.

Through this passage God rebuked me of my impatience with hard times, my slack in strengthening my heart in His Word, my grudging others who I think have caused the trouble, and my forgetfulness of the Lord's faithfulness. I absolutely love these verses! Praise God for seeing my sin and addressing it. It is such a loving, merciful and PATIENT thing for Him to do. Wow, He is very pitiful and tender in mercy! :-)

Psalm 27:14 Wait on the LORD; be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait I say, on the LORD.

No comments:

Post a Comment