Monday, January 11, 2010

Chaste Converstation?

“For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O LORD, thou knowest it altogether.” –Psalm 139:4 All week long I have been hearing about gossip from the Pastor, friends, bible study group leader, and of course the Bible itself! I don’t know if a lot of other women struggle with guarding their mouths as I do, but just in case...

This is SUCH a convicting subject I have been putting it off for several days. It is even painful to type this out! :-) Anyway, we women, who are servants of SUCH a good and great God have got to be women who act like it, in the way that we use our minds and our mouths. We have to stop the gossip and the “busy-body” stuff. The only way to stop it from spilling out is to ask the Lord to purify our conversation, to change our hearts and our minds about gossip and other people’s affairs that shouldn't concern us. I know it hurts to hear that, but it does not hurt nearly as much as it does to write it. Seriously ladies, especially young ladies, God is right! There are so many other GREAT things that we could be doing that bring glory and honor to our LORD with our minds and with our mouths. So here are a few Scriptures and definitions and I will leave it at that, unless someone really wants to dig deeper and point out something else about gossip and or busy body-ness... There is a TON in the Scripture about it that I can't even go into at the moment. So feel free to add to this if you are so inclined.

MOUTH: “But no one can tame the tongue… from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way. (James 3:8-10)


Tame tongue: One that is brought under submission to the “bit and bridle” of the Word of God. One that is directed by and obedient to the Highest Authority. What does that look like? I wondered the same thing.


“And my tongue shall speak of thy righteousness and of thy praise all the day long.” Psalm 35:28
“The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom, and his tongue talketh of judgment.” Psalm 37:20


Un-tame tongue: That looks like my tongue. :-) My tongue speaks my mind, and that is why it gets so nastay! It relishes in passing information about others. It is idle, hurtful, inconsiderate, and separates good friends. My mouth is guilty of meddling in others affairs where my help was not sought, needed, or helpful. My tongue is guilty of destroying, breaking down, and piercing others. In other words, and for lack of better ones: My tongue is SIN FULL. I know that sounds aweful, but unfortunately it goes deeper and gets worse…


HEART: “Whose adorning let it not be that outward adorning of plaiting the hair, and of wearing of gold, or of putting on of apparel; But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price."1 Peter 3:3-4


Definition of meek and quiet spirit: I think the best definition is given in the verse that comes after these few verses above. Verse six describes Sara, Abraham’s wife, who did possess a meek and quiet spirit.
"Even as Sara obeyed Abraham, calling him lord: whose daughters ye are, as long as ye do well, and are not afraid with any amazement." -1 Peter 3:6
Meekness and a quiet spirit are obedience (which is proper submission to God and therefore the authorities He has placed in our lives) and a lack of fear (which comes by faith/trust in God). Overall it looks quite content. It is content in God’s Sovereignty in where He has chosen to place it as far as its own life and business goes. It is content (and finds it’s happiness/delight/fun) in God, Himself. Boy, that sounds like a real woman, does it not? Beautiful (!) and we don't even have to see what she is wearing. :-)
This meek and quiet spirit has not been my own, but I do repent for the way I have used my mouth and mind in the past. I am grateful to the Lord for showing me the way that is right. He is so worthy of chaste conversation that reflects His redeeming work in my life. From here on out I will seek to be accountable not only to you, my friends, but also to a specific spiritual mentor who will help me pursue pure conversation that exalts my Savior!
God bless you! May you enjoy pure conversation and thoughts today as you continue to pursue Christ with all your heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment