Monday, January 4, 2010

Faithful and Big

2 Samuel 22:31 "As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is tried: he is a buckler to all them that trust in him."

Twenty-ten! Are you kidding me? I feel like a little kid getting ready to ride the Superman rollercoaster at Six Flags. You know the feeling of being forced into a seat, all too near the front, by a pushing, anxious crowd? I can just see myself being strapped into that seat and nervously waiting for it all to start. Just when I've talked myself into a calm-ish state and feel somewhat prepared for the trip ahead the floor drops out from under your feet. That is when it gets interesting.

Staring into the face of year 2010 would not be possible for me if it were not for two truths. Though when you see which truths I am talking about you might laugh because they are so basic, but for me they seem to need constant reinforcement, constant testing and rehashing. Going through year 2010 will not be possible for me if I do not hold onto these truths for dear life, as I might cling to the harness or buckle in a rollercoaster.

The first securing truth: God's faithfulness to me in the past, and His promise of faithfulness in the future.

Jude 1:24-25 "Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen."

The fact that God is faithful and will be faithful is the grace that gives me the strength/grace to be faithful to Him as well. Christ's faithfulness (in sanctification) to present me faultless before God Almighty and All Holy. In God's faithfulness to receive of my life glory and honor gives me so much peace that I can actually enjoy the sanctification process. I cannot ruin His plans. I cannot ruin His glory. YAY!!!! By the mercy and grace of God, by the reality of HIS faithfulness I can be faithful in laying down my life, my greatest desires, my most treasured friendships, possesions and aspirations for the glory of this faithful King.

" I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service." - Romans 12:1

Ahh, that hits close to home. Reasonable service. It gets me everytime. Yes, it is my reasonable service, and I am delighted to do it in light of so great a Salvation,and so great a God. Which brings me to the other securing truth.

The fact that God's plans cannot be frustrated. They cannot be stopped by me nor can they be stopped by someone else.

Psalm 135: 5-7 " For I know that the LORD is great, and that our Lord is above all gods. Whatever the LORD pleases, he does, in heaven and on earth, in the sease and all the deeps. He it is who makes the clouds rise at the end of the earth, who makes lightnings for the rain and brings forth the wind from his storehouses."

I used to think that I was a great believer in God's Soveriegnty. ("He that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall") I remember saying, "I just can't fellowship with this person because they don't believe in the Sovereignty of God!" At least this person is honest about their unbelief, because when "push came to shove" I obviously didn't believe in the Sovereignty of God either. I have been so fearful to make a decision, and fearful about the decisions and actions of other people that will directly affect me. I allowed this sin full reign and made it a comfy place in my heart. So proud... So proud to think that others or that I could frustrate Gods plans. So selfish to serve my plans instead of the Lord. So unfaithful and idolitrious to behave as a victum in the hand of a little god (my own creation). So vile to rebel against those laws and governors that God has placed in my life to instruct and direct me. Wow. God's grace must be very very great! I have found myself crying several times, Oh WRETCHED MAN THAT I AM!!! Thank God, for Jesus Christ, who is a GREAT Savior. For by His greatness I have hope!

Do you know what makes a rollercoaster fun? The buckle. I garuntee you, they would not be fun if I couldn't be strapped in securely. I love roller coasters, and I feel certain that as a servant of this Faithful and Soveriegn God I will love year 2010 complete with its twists, turns, dips, and speed. It is in His hands and He is my buckler.

" I am God. and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, 'My cousnel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose.'" - Isaiah 46:9-10
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment