Wednesday, January 20, 2010

1 Corinthians 13; Charity

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And though I have the figt of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseamly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things... "
-1 Corinthians 13:1-7


Today is Charity's (Tee) birthday. And for me it is such a joyful day, because God granted me SUCH a blessing on this day. Charity's middle name is Ruth and I think she was SO well named. Her name means Loving Friend... Chambers (not sure what that last name means. lol).




Charity suffereth Long and is Kind: Haha! I love this one! Charity has been long suffering and kind in our relationship. She has borne with me through thick and really really thin. Just sayin'. Through all my inconsistencies, hypocrisies, selfishness, pride, bossiness, and I am sure she could name others (so could I, but I will not), she has been a steadfast loving friend. While she is a good listener I have can always count on her telling me how things really are (truth). Right, Babe? (PS THANK YOU!) There are very few who could boast of such a friend, and fewer still who could be such a friend.



Charity envieth not: The opposite of envy seems to be encouragement. Desiring good for another person and helping them achieve that goal vs. wanting what they have for yourself. Charity is the opposite of envy. Not only does she encourage, but she supports others with her whole heart. I have never known anyone who can anticipate and meet the needs of others so well. Nor have I met a woman so thoughtful in supporting her friends and family. It is truly amazing.



Charity is not puffed up: Wow! This is true of her! She accepts and even expects correction. She takes it like a champ, and even seeks it out! She doesn't think her ideas are the best. She goes to the Word of God to check her ideas and her way of thinking. I so admire this about Charity, and I just thank the Lord for sending me such an example...


Charity doth not behave herself unseamly: She has worked diligently to make the most of the talents the Lord has given her, and to develop the talents/abilities that she needs, in order to be a more faithful servant of God. She has certainly behaved herself in a way that honors not just her family and friends but most importantly her God. Which brings me to the next point. Side note: I LOVE her writings, and speaches. Absolutely life changing stuff!


Charity seeketh not her own: I know Charity pretty well (at least I think I do) and I have known a lot of her personal dreams. Some have changed over the years but some haven't. There is one thing that has changed over the years though and for it I praise God for His work in her. Charity has laid down her own goals that seem like they would bring her both comfort and happiness and has instead chosen the true happiness that is found in obedience to God. She has chosen the difficult and uncertain road, she has decided to put her trust in Christ and live and work for Him. She used to like to speak because she was good at it and because she knew her ideas were very intelligent and well thought out. But I have seen that change. She now speaks to challenge her hearers to serve the Lord, to convict them of God's law, she speaks that God may be lifted up, and man might know his rightful place as the servants of the most high God. Her ideas now are not her own but she goes to the Scripture for their foundation. Truth is now her focus, not her own way, or ideas.




Charity is not easily provoked: Here is another thing that I have seen change in Charity. She no longer picks fights just to fight. She does not seek a fight, nor does she back down when one is brought to her. This is a beautiful balance I think. She has also become better at communicating in an argument. She doesn't get shrill; there is a beautiful peacefulness that comes from her ideas and positions being grounded in THE TRUTH.


Thinketh no evil: I was amazed when after she found out who stole her phone she began praying for the girl and for God's mercy on her. That wasn't what I was thinking of doing at that moment, I'll confess. :-/


Rejoiceth not in iniquity but rejoiceth in the truth: Oh if I could tell you all the times that I have enjoyed amazing fellowship with Charity over the Word of God! Thank you, thank you, thank you God for this! She is gets so cute while she explains a verse! Sometimes she can't get all the words out and so she taps the table and smiles ear to ear. She truly delights in the Lord, and it is SO FUN!! I love hearing her tell about what God showed her. "Ohhhhh! It was so good! Oh. Oh. Oh. It was just ammmmmazing!"


Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, believeth all things... So she is pretty amazing isn't she? PRAISE God He is going to continue purifying her heart and mind until He calls her to heaven. Ahh, the greatest thing in this life is salvation, and the fact that this woman will one day be presented before Gods throne purified! Sanctification and the fact that God will continue His amazing work in her life is perhaps the most exciting thing about her birthday. I know she will be victoriously growing closer and closer to the Lord every day she lives, whether she live one more year or sixty more, because Christ is victorious. Praise God for this life! This life is good because God is good!



Hope and I love to joke about the last part of this chapter but we change a couple of the words for it to work right: And now abides grace, hope and charity, but the greatest of these is Charity (until its Hopes Birthday anyway). Thanks be to God for our Loving Friend!

3 comments:

  1. You're so sweet, Grace! I love your posts! :)
    Happy Birthday, Charity! :D
    ~JoyH

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love this Post, Grace! It almost made me cry so many times! Everything you said is SO true! She is truly amazing!

    Okay....I just read it again...And I did cry. Grace, You are truly the best sister in the world. SO thoughtful to write so much about someone you love so mcuh! You are inspiration to me! Challeneging me to be a better sister in all areas! I love you! And I love her! And I love Hope! You three are so amazing and I am SO blessed to have you all a part of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday Charity. :) This is such a cute post. :)

    ReplyDelete