Thursday, January 7, 2010

Time is up!

Why is there such thing as time? I don't usually ask such DEEP questions. :-) I once heard a pastor say that we such a thing as money to show our heart, and to show the world that there is Someone who is more important than money. I think the same is true of time. We have such a thing as time to show that Christ is more important than time.

I have been really crying out to God to show me how to be a real woman. :-) Right away He opened up an opportunity for me to join an Bible study where I met several real women. They convicted me so badly with just their daily schedule. Believe it or not their schedule showed their submission to Christ! I was shocked... and just a little annoyed. Didn't like the idea of this lesson.

The problem:
I have never been a schedule person because they frustrate me so badly when I can't get them done right and in order. Not having a schedule to keep seemed to free me up, and in a way that is true. You are much freer to do things spur of the moment. That being said my not having a schedule has really been bad for me too. I have lost discipline and lost time. I haven't accomplished tasks that were very important, I have lost money, and I have compromised trading valuable time for invaluable things.

"See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil." Ephesians 5:15-16

No, those days are leaving... Submission to God in the orderly and disciplined use of time is coming. There can be no other way. BUT what happens when my plans are frustrated... because that does happen every day. Things come up. And if I know myself and I think I do, I am going to be super frustrated, and I will want to give up.

First: "Commit your work to the Lord , and your plans will be established. " Proverbs 16:3
I need to make sure that the plans I have made are ones that God would have me make. They need to be in accordance with what He has already shown me and will show me delights Him. This way when my plans are interrupted I will have a good idea of whether to go with the flow or hold fast to the schedule. I think they call this straightening out my priorities.

Secondly: "Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand." Proverbs 19:21
I need to surrender my plans to Him everyday, this will not always mean abandoning my schedule, sometimes when things come up I will have to choose the schedule over the interruption (ie. Discipline). Deciding between sticking with the schedule or overriding it, requires God. That is where my relationship with Christ, my dependence and commitment to Him comes in. He will provide the wisdom I need to make the decisions I need to make.

Lastly: WORK! Discipline. I already know what things have to go, and I am already wishing I didn't have to. But! No one said it would be easy or that I would think it was fun... at least not yet. When I gave up TV, I wasn't sorry. So likely, by and by, I will not miss these things either.
Submission to Christ and His plans for day to day living are part of what makes a girl a woman. The discipline is glorifying God part. I get to make decisions moment by moment that show the world that Christ is more valuable than even the most precious resource we have (time).

Times up! Have to go! :-)

3 comments: