Thursday, January 8, 2009

In NOT Knowing What the Future Holds

There is a story in the book, "In My Fathers House", by Corrie Ten Boom, about how gracious God is for not letting us see the future as He does. I hope I tell it right, if I don't please let me know. But I think Corrie Ten Boon, as a ten year old, asked her Father one of those questions that parents dread, and never know how to answer. She and her Father were at the time walking to the bus station, and her Father asked her to carry his case (not sure if it was a box or his briefcase) onto the bus. Corrie answered "You know I can't carry it, Dad, it is way to heavy for me". Her Father replied that he knew it was too heavy for her. He explained that God gave Fathers special wisdom to know what is too heavy for their children to bear. He told her that she could trust him to tell her as soon as he knew she could bear it.


Today, I remembered that story. I wish so much that I knew the future. I think it would be wonderful to have a vision or hear from God what exactly will happen in my future, in the future of my family, in the future of my friends. It might be a little scary but after it was over it would be GREAT! But God, my Father, knows that it is too heavy for me.


I have to walk day by day, hour by hour, not knowing what is next but trusting my Father to let me know as I am able to bear it, and to give me the strength for the next moment. In Matthew 6:34, "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day [is] the evil thereof." These were Jesus' own words to me/us.


Sometimes that is so frustrating, but there it is in plain English. It is not my burden to bear, so why do I constantly try? As a family we have been going through some extreme challenges in these past few weeks, and unfortunately it looks like much more difficult days are ahead. This can be very distressing, but pretending for just a second that I was little Corrie how ridiculous it would be and how much extra strain it cause if I insisted on carrying that heavy briefcase.


Matthew 11:28 - 30, "Come unto me, all [ye] that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke [is] easy, and my burden is light."



No comments:

Post a Comment